Faculty of Science
Founded in 1961, the Faculty of Science comprises five departments, including Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics. Currently, with around 2,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, the Faculty offers a broad spectrum of academic programmes in the science discipline.
The Faculty strives to play a leading role in science education and technological advancement by delivering excellence in teaching and learning, conducting cutting-edge academic research, and proactively contributing to the advancement of society.
To provide students with a comprehensive education that fully develops their intellectual and personal strengths.
To engage in innovative, high-impact, and leading-edge research.
To promote scientific and technological literacy in society.
The Faculty advocates cross-disciplinary approaches, with research activities focused on the environment and health, chemical biology, data analytics, and artificial intelligence. We offer exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary ventures and collaborations, and aim to inspire students to achieve academic excellence to leverage professional and intellectual demands. Our central facilities use the latest technologies for the development and implementation of advanced and innovative research.
Faculty Niche Research Area
To align with the University’s Institutional Strategic Plan 2018-2028 and Talent 100, the Faculty Niche Research Area (FNRA) focuses on “Environment-Health and Data Analytics” to deliver solutions of real environmental importance which can help safeguard the health of present and future generations.
Environment–Health and Data Analytics: A study on the Role of Environmental Chemical Pollutants in the Development of Human Diseases
- Chemical Biology
(Departments of Biology and Chemistry)
- Epidemiological Studies & Experimental Models
(Departments of Biology and Mathematics)
- Omics & Health Informatics
(Departments of Computer Science and Physics)
- Big Data & Modeling
(Department of Computer Science and Mathematics)
Please click here for more details.
State Key Laboratory
- Croucher Institute for Environmental Sciences
- Institute of Advanced Materials
- Institute of Bioresource and Agriculture
- Institute of Computational and Theoretical Studies (ICTS)
- Peking U - HKBU Joint Research Institute for Applied Mathematics*
- Beijing-HK-Singapore Joint Centre for Nonlinear and Complex Systems*
- Centre for Health Informatics*
- Centre for Mathematical Imaging and Vision*
- Centre for Nonlinear Studies*
- Centre for Quantitative Systems Biology*
- Golden Meditech Centre for NeuroRegeneration Sciences
- High-Performance Cluster Computing Centre*
- HKBU-Durham Lanthanide Joint Research Center for Systems Medicine
- Research and Development Centre for Natural Health Products^
- Research Centre of Excellence for Organic Electronics
- Research Centre for Ubiquitous Computing*
- Sino-Forest Applied Research Centre for Pearl River Delta Environment
- Statistics Research and Consultancy Centre*
* Research Institutes/Centres run under ICTS, which serves as an interdisciplinary research platform.
^ The Centre is located in mainland China.
Introducing HKBU Faculty of Science