Faculty of Science
Founded in 1961, the Faculty of Science comprises five departments, including Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics. Currently, with around 2,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, the Faculty offers a broad spectrum of academic programmes in the science discipline.
The Faculty strives to play a leading role in science education and technological advancement by delivering excellence in teaching and learning, conducting cutting-edge academic research, and proactively contributing to the advancement of society.
To provide students with a comprehensive education that fully develops their intellectual and personal strengths.
To engage in innovative, high-impact, and leading-edge research.
To promote scientific and technological literacy in society.
The Faculty advocates cross-disciplinary approaches, with research activities focused on the environment and health, chemical biology, data analytics, and artificial intelligence. We offer exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary ventures and collaborations, and aim to inspire students to achieve academic excellence to leverage professional and intellectual demands. Our central facilities use the latest technologies for the development and implementation of advanced and innovative research.
Professor Zhang Jianhua
Dean, Faculty of ScienceChair Professor in Biology
Message from the Dean
In the Faculty of Science, we strive to provide a state-of-the-art research environment for our students. In 2013, the Partner State Key Laboratory of Environmental and Biological Analysis was established. The Laboratory has opened up opportunities for top-level research activities, scholarly exchanges, and collaborations with outstanding researchers.
Apart from the advanced facilities, our research teams bring together an intellectually stimulating environment for our students. The Faculty takes pride in the outstanding achievements of our dedicated staff in their respective fields, which have been recognised both locally and globally. For instance, many of the research activities from the Department of Mathematics obtained level 4* in the Research Assessment Exercise of 2014 (RAE), reflecting their perseverance in the pursuit of excellence. The Department of Biology also successfully bid for a grant of HK$37.6 million from the HSBC Foundation to establish Hong Kong’s first Institute of Bioresource and Agriculture in 2016, and the Institute aims to promote sustainable living in the community. In addition, research teams from the Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Physics departments won Gold Medals in the International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva in 2016, 2017 and 2019, highlighting the impact of their research outcomes.
With our tradition of nurturing leaders who contribute to society, I look forward to working with talented colleagues who excel in both research and education.
Professor Zhang Jianhua
Dean, Faculty of Science
Chair Professor in Biology
Faculty Niche Research Area
To align with the University’s Institutional Strategic Plan 2018-2028 and Talent 100, the Faculty Niche Research Area (FNRA) focuses on “Environment-Health and Data Analytics” to deliver solutions of real environmental importance which can help safeguard the health of present and future generations.
Environment–Health and Data Analytics: A study on the Role of Environmental Chemical Pollutants in the Development of Human Diseases
- Chemical Biology
(Departments of Biology and Chemistry)
- Epidemiological Studies & Experimental Models
(Departments of Biology and Mathematics)
- Omics & Health Informatics
(Departments of Computer Science and Physics)
- Big Data & Modeling
(Department of Computer Science and Mathematics)
Please click here for more details.
State Key Laboratory
- Croucher Institute for Environmental Sciences
- HKBU-RCEES Joint Institute of Environmental Sciences
- Institute of Advanced Materials
- Institute of Bioresource and Agriculture
- Institute of Computational and Theoretical Studies (ICTS)
- Peking U - HKBU Joint Research Institute for Applied Mathematics*
- Beijing-HK-Singapore Joint Centre for Nonlinear and Complex Systems*
- Centre for Health Informatics*
- Centre for Mathematical Imaging and Vision*
- Centre for Nonlinear Studies*
- Centre for Quantitative Systems Biology*
- Golden Meditech Centre for NeuroRegeneration Sciences
- High-Performance Cluster Computing Centre*
- HKBU-Durham Lanthanide Joint Research Center for Systems Medicine
- Research and Development Centre for Natural Health Products^
- Research Centre of Excellence for Organic Electronics
- Research Centre for Ubiquitous Computing*
- Sino-Forest Applied Research Centre for Pearl River Delta Environment
- Statistics Research and Consultancy Centre*
* Research Institutes/Centres run under ICTS, which serves as an interdisciplinary research platform.
^ The Centre is located in mainland China.
Introducing HKBU Faculty of Science