As the first university in Hong Kong to collaborate with a higher education institution in mainland China, HKBU established the Institute for Research and Continuing Education (IRACE) in July 2000 to focus on innovative interdisciplinary research and top talent training. With the establishment of Beijing Normal University-Hong Kong Baptist University United International College (UIC) in 2005, a joint research scheme was applied between HKBU and UIC to facilitate research collaboration and to nurture joint Ph.D. students. In recent years, upon the opportunities of the rapid development of the country, HKBU expanded widely connected with the universities/institutions in the Mainland to implement academic collaboration in depth.
Participating in the major national projects and the State key development areas:
- Partner State Key Laboratory of Environmental and Biological Analysis collaborated with the Chinese Academy of Science
- Scholar of SCI was carried by the support ship of Jiaolong to undertake scientific research on deep-sea life and geological structures in the south sea of China.
- The research team of SCM conducted a space life science study on board China`s first cargo spacecraft-Tianzhou-1.
Participating in the alliances of various colleges and universities in the Mainland on behalf of HKBU, including the Beijing - Hong Kong Universities Alliance, the Shanghai-Hong Kong University Alliance, the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao University Alliance (GHMUA), the University Alliance of Belt and Road (UABR), and the University Alliance of the Silk Road to promote academic cooperation of crucial subject areas.
Collaborating with the first-tier universities in the Mainland, building a research platform to conduct academic collaboration.
- Signing agreements and memorandums of cooperation with Fudan University, Sun Yat-sen University, Xi`an Jiaotong University, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, Shanghai University, etc. to carry out academic exchange and industry-academia-research collaboration.
- Signing a framework agreement on the establishment of a university alliance for the development of new medicines with Sun Yat-sen University, the Southern University of Science and Technology, the City University of Hong Kong, the University of Macau. It focuses on drug discovery, resource integration, as well as high-caliber professionals training.
- Signing a framework agreement with the Research Institute of Qinghua, Pearl River delta, to promote the scientific research development and research output industrialization.
Establishing a transformation platform for the research outputs contributes to society.
- An HKBU technology spin-off company has established in the healthcare technology Park at Zhongshan, Greater Bay Area. The critical patent rights are related to the early detection of prostate cancer developed in HKBU. It is the first biomedicine achievement transformation project settled in Zhongshan.
With the signing of “Arrangement on Enhancing Innovation and Technology Cooperation between the Mainland and Hong Kong” between the MOST and HKSAR, the emergence of new policies and initiatives will bring energy to HKBU to develop the collaboration in the Mainland.