Dr Alvin Tang
College of International Education
School of Continuing Education
- 3411 3121
Dr Alvin Tang’s research interests lie primarily in the areas of plant disease, tree management, fungal taxonomy and mushroom poisoning. The findings of his work have contributed to a better understanding of tree diseases and at the same time have helped to establish more effective management measures to reduce the risk of tree failure, which in turn helps to safeguard public safety in urban areas. He has established a close relationship with different government departments – especially the Tree Management Office of the Development Bureau, the Highways Department and Housing Authority – to understand their pressing concerns related to tree management and to conduct research to support their management regime and provide them with more options. Dr Tang is currently a member of a global expert committee on brown root rot disease to monitor the outbreak of plant disease worldwide.
Dr Tang has been awarded eight research and consultancies, with a total sum of over HK$3 million, since his first appointment at HKBU in 2016. He has worked on various topical subjects in Hong Kong over the years, including tree disease and mushroom poisoning, and has conducted 111 media interviews to give insights on different scientific topics. The media coverage has included 23 television programmes, 7 radio programmes and 81 newspaper reports.
- Lee, C.H.Y., Tang, A.M.C., Lai, D.Y.F., Tai, A.P.K., Leung, A.S.L., Tao, D.K.C., Leung, F., Leung, S.S.M., Wu, C. Tong, S.C.S., Ng, K.T.K. “Problems and management of Acacia-dominated urban forests on man-made slopes in a subtropical, high-density city.” MDPI Forests 12 (3) (2021): 323 https://doi.org/10.3390/f12030323
- Bundhun, D., Jeewon, R., Senanayake, I.C., Camporesi, E., Aluthmuhandiram, J.VS., Tang, A.M.C. Kang, J.C., Bhoyroo, V., Hyde, K.D. “Molecular phylogenetics of Discosia ravennica sp. nov and a new host record for Sporocadus rosigena.” Mycokeys. 79 (2021): 173–192. https://mycokeys.pensoft.net/article/60662/
- Stewart, J. E. Kim, M.S. Ota, Y., Sahashi, N., Hanna, J. W., Akiba, M., Ata, J. P., Atibalentja, N. Brooks, F. Chung, C.L., Dann, E. K., Mohd Farid, A., Hattori, T., Lee, S. S., Otto, K. Pegg, G. S., Schlub, R. L., Shuey, L. S., Tang, A. M. C., Tsai, J.-N., Cannon, P. G., Klopfenstein, N. B. “Phylogenetic and population genetic analyses reveal three distinct lineages of the invasive brown root-rot pathogen, Phellinus noxius, and bioclimatic modeling predicts differences in associated climate niches.” European Journal of Plant Pathology 156 (2020): 751–766. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-019-01926-5
- Senwanna, C., Wanasinghe, D.N., Bulgakov, T.S., Wang, Y., Bhat, D.J., Tang, A.M.C., Mortimer, P.E., Xu, J., Hyde, K.D. and Phookamsak, R. “Towards a natural classification of Dothidotthia and Thyrostroma in Dothidotthiaceae.” Mycosphere 10 (2019): 701–738.
- Qiu, Q., Qin, R., Lam, J.H.M., Tang, A.M.C., Leung, M.W.K., Lau, D. “An innovative tomographic technique integrated with acoustic-laser approach for detecting defects in tree trunk.” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 156 (2019): 129-137.
- Tibpromma, S., Hyde, K.D., McKenzie, E.H.C., Bhat, D.J., Phillips, A.J.L., Wanasinghe, D.N., Samarakoon, M.C., Jayawardena, R.S., Dissanayake, A.J., Tennakoon, D.S., Doilom, M., Phookamsak, R., Tang, A.M.C., Xu, J., Mortimer, P.E., Promputtha, I., Maharachchikumbura, S.S.N., Khan, S., Karunarathna, S.C. “Fungal diversity notes 840–928: micro-fungi associated with Pandanaceae.” Fungal Diversity 93 (2018): 1-160.
- Qiu, Q., Qin, R., Lam, J.H.M., Tang, A.M.C., Leung, M.W.K., Lau, D. “Health assessment of tree trunk by using acoustic-laser technique and sonic tomography.” Wood Science and Technology 52 (2018): 1113-1132.
- Tibpromma, S., Hyde, K.D., Bhat, J.D., Mortimer, P.E., Xu, J., Promputtha, I., Doilom, M. Yang, J.B., Tang, A.M.C., Karunarathna, S.C. “Identification of endophytic fungi from leaves of Pandanaceae in southern Thailand based on their morphotypes and DNA sequence data.” Mycokeys 33 (2018): 25-67.
- Tibpromma, S., Hyde, K.D., Tang, A.M.C. et al. “Fungal diversity notes 491–602: taxonomic and phylogenetic contributions to fungal taxa.” Fungal Diversity 83 (2017): 1-261.
- Regal, J.R., Tang, A.M.C., Schubert, M., Lam, R.Y.C., Chu, L.M., Leung, M.W.K., Kwan, H.S., Schwarze, F.W.M.R. “Evaluation of an antagonistic Trichoderma strain for eradicating Phellinus noxius in colonised wood.” Journal of Tropical Forest Science 28 (2016): 457-468.
- A.M.C. Tang, P.P.L. Chu, M.W.K. Leung, L.M. Chu, W.H. Liao. “Evaluating wood strength properties of subtropical urban trees using fractometer II.” Journal of Tropical Forest Science 28 (2016): 149-159.
- Tang, A.M.C., Lam, R.Y.C., Leung, M.W.K. “Xylaria hongkongensis sp. nov. from an urban tree.” Mycotaxon 128 (2014): 37-40.
- Pinnoi, A., Phongpaichit , P., Jeewon, R, Tang, A.M.C., Hyde K.D., Jones, E.B.G. “Phylogenetic relationships of Astrocystis eleiodoxae sp. nov. (Xylariaceae).” Mycosphere 1 (2010):1–9.
- Tang, A.M.C., Jeewon, R., Hyde, K.D. “A re-evaluation of Phylogenetic relationships within Xylariaceae.” Fungal Diversity 34 (2009):127-155.
- Tang, A.M.C., Jeewon, R., Hyde, K.D. “Phylogenetic relationships of Nemania plumbea sp. nov. and related taxa based on ribosomal ITS and RPB2 sequences.” Mycological Research 111 (2007):392-402.
- Tang, A.M.C., Jeewon, R., Hyde, K.D. “Phylogenetic utility of protein (RPB2, β-tubulin) and ribosomal (LSU, SSU) gene sequences in the systematics of Sordariomycetes.” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology 91 (2007):327-349.
- Tang, A.M.C., Shenoy, B.D., Hyde, K.D. “Fungal Diversity. In: Reconstructing the Tree of Life: Taxonomy and Systematics of Species Rich Taxa.” Systematics Association Series. Eds. Hodkinson, T.R., Parnell, J. CRC Press, London, U.K.
- Tang, A.M.C., Jeewon, R., Hyde, K.D. “Successional patterns of microfungi in fallen leaves of Castanopsis fissa (Fagaceae) in Hong Kong forest.” Canadian Journal of Microbiology 51 (11) (2005):967-974.
- Tang, A.M.C., Corlett, R.T., Hyde, K.D. “The persistence of ripe fleshy fruits in the presence and absence of frugivores.” Oecologia 142 (2005):232-237.
- Tang, A.M.C., Hyde, K.D., Corlett, R.T. “The Diversity of fungi on wild fruits in Hong Kong.” Fungal Diversity 14 (2003): 165-185.
- Tang, A.M.C., Hyde, K.D., Tsui, C.K.M., Corlett, R.T. “New species of Lophiotrema from wild fruit in Hong Kong.” Persoonia 18(2) (2003): 265-269.