School of Chinese Medicine
A pioneer and leader in Chinese medicine education, research and healthcare in the tertiary education sector in Hong Kong, the School of Chinese Medicine (SCM) offers the most comprehensive academic and professional programmes in town for aspiring Chinese medicine practitioners and professionals. It also boasts a world-class research team devoted to impactful and translational research and an extensive network of clinical and health management centres highly revered for its expert medical team.
Committed to both inheritance and innovation in Chinese medicine, the School makes full use of modern technologies to conduct innovative research on Chinese medicine, integration of Chinese medicine and Western medicine, and contribute to the standardisation, modernisation and internationalisation of Chinese medicine. High-end research laboratories and infrastructure with state-of-the-art facilities are established to consolidate our research strengths.
SCM takes pride in its strong and vibrant research team which engages in cutting-edge research that is internationally competitive, supports teaching and learning and has the potential to have a significant impact on society. We frequently publish in prestigious international journals and have been granted patents in US, mainland China, Europe, Germany, UK, Japan, Taiwan, Macau and Hong Kong.
Furthermore, the School has been proactive in seeking collaborations with enterprises and set up the "University－Enterprise Synergy Innovation Platform", the purpose of which is to optimise the use of talents and resources of SCM and the partner organisations. The Platform conducts joint research and seeks to realise the industrialisation of research findings so as to promote innovative Chinese medicine research and foster the development of Chinese medicine pharmaceutical industry.
Professor JIA Wei
Acting Dean and Chair Professor in Chinese Medicine and Systems Biology, Cheung On Tak Endowed Professor in Chinese Medicine
Faculty Niche Research Area
Echoing the University’s Strategic Plan 2018-2028 to focus on innovative, interdisciplinary and theme-based research, SCM has endeavoured to strengthen its research in the niche area of “Innovative Drug Discovery and Development based on Chinese Medicines” by engaging experts in a wide range of disciplines and focusing its efforts and resources on three key research areas:
- Precision medicine and phenomics;
- Translational medicine and innovative drug discovery; and
- Authentication and testing of Chinese medicines.
In line with its focuses and to strengthen the impact on society, the School has established 12 research centres/institutes since its founding:
- Shum Yiu Foon Shum Bik Chuen Memorial Centre for Cancer and Inflammation Research (CCIR)
- Law Sau Fai Institute for Advancing Translational Medicine in Bone and Joint Diseases (TMBJ)
- Hong Kong Chinese Medicine Clinical Study Centre (CMCS)
- Mr. and Mrs. Ko Chi Ming Centre for Parkinson’s Disease Research (CPDR)
- Consun Chinese Medicines Research Centre for Renal Diseases (CCRD)
- Research Centre for Standardization of Chinese Medicines (CSCM)
- Institute of Integrated Bioinformedicine and Translational Science (IBTS)
- Institute for Precision Medicine and Innovative Drug (PMID)
- Institute of Systems Medicine and Health Sciences (ISMHS)*
- Hong Kong Traditional Chinese Medicine Phenome Research Centre (HKPR)
- Hong Kong Baptist University Joint Centre for Pain Research (JCPR)*
- The Enhancing the QUality And Transparency Of health Research (EQUATOR) China Centre
- HKBU and IncreasePharm Joint Centre for Nucleic Acid Drug Discovery (NADD)*
*The website is under construction.